blogmeetsbrand

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Working Mommy and Stay-at-Home Mommy



The world has all sorts of mothers – mothers who have to go to work, mothers who want to go to work and some who choose to be 'stay-at-home' moms, but everyone including friends and relatives needs to be less judgmental of us moms. Every mom knows what is best for her kid and takes care of them as best as she can. So a little less judging and a whole lot of loving is what we need.
I decided to continue working till the very end of my pregnancy, I was fortunate that I could do so and I thought it would keep me on my toes and keep my weight down, but I still gained 20 kilos despite all my efforts. I took my maternity leave when I was full term as I would get rude remarks like 'are you planning to have your baby at work'? I wondered why people wouldn’t mind their own business.  In 2012, we could get only three months of maternity leave, unlike now, with the amended Maternity Bill of 2016, which allows six months. 

So naturally I had thought in my head that I would rejoin work three months after my baby comes, as I was due for a promotion soon. I had a supporting family at home who would take care of my baby while I was at work and takeover from them when I got back. Everything seemed perfect. I had it all figured it out in my head, and the difficult part of carrying the baby for 9 months was almost coming to an end. I would ignore the statements made by experienced mothers and relatives who would tell me that the difficult part was yet to come.  I was not going to be a stay-at-home mom and spend my life raising my children.

 I had always been an excellent student and perfectionist at work, I couldn’t let all of that go to waste. I wanted to be a successful brand manager but life had other plans. Unfortunately women’s biological clock and career clock always seems to overlap, and we are forced to make choices in life, which our significant-halves don’t have to. My baby was born and its crazy how I was overwhelmed with emotions and love for this little creature I had never met and that’s when the roller-coaster of sleepless nights, diaper changing and of course breast-feeding began, and trust me it was extremely difficult initially. I wasn’t getting the perfect latch, my breasts felt sensitive. The baby had to be fed on demand and I wanted to sleep at least for four hours at a stretch, without having to wake up. 

My day would go by and I probably lost all sense of time between feeding the baby and checking if he had enough WET diapers during the day. I had decided that I would breastfeed my baby for three months and then of course start formula after that, since that is how my mother had brought us up, and we grew up just fine.
I changed innumerable pediatricians before I found the right one who wouldn’t over-medicate and would respond to all my queries on whatsapp. But sure enough he dropped a bomb on me when I asked him when I should consider bottle-feeding and he told me in a very terse manner that it is a taboo to bottle-feed and that I need to invest in my child’s health and my health as well. 

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that we exclusively breastfeed our babies till 6 months on demand and then up to a year accompanied by solids. "6 months of breastfeeding !! Are you serious ?" I told the doctor. All my career plans went for a toss. I had to resign after the three month maternity leave period….I would join work back someday soon, for sure !
The bond with my baby kept growing stronger, the feeling was so surreal, and you suddenly become this over-protective mommy. I knew nothing about mommy-hood and there was never a crash course to teach you what to do and what not to do. You step into this journey feeling anxious and unsure of yourself but sure enough, you seem to know what needs to be done….it is purely instinctive.
As time goes by you seem to enjoy every moment you spend with your baby. You seem to get into the groove of it. From bathing time and grooming your baby to feeding time, nap time, reading time and park time. People tend to question you - so what do you do all day at home? So when do you plan to join back work? I want to tell them it’s not my decision; it is till my baby needs me.

 Also this is a lot of work as well, except we don’t get appreciated for it, and we don’t get paid for it. But watching your baby grow and reaching milestones, molding them into good human beings and teaching them life skills is satisfying for mothers in itself. But the choices we make in whichever circumstances are purely ours, whether to go out to work or stay at home.
The choice of not going to work and breastfeeding your baby or the choice of going to work and pumping/formula feeding your baby is completely yours. We are in a constant dilemma to make a choice. Both situations have their pros and cons. But whatever choice a mother makes, nobody should judge them whether the baby is breast-fed or formula-fed, all KIDS  eventually turn out fine, whether the mother is a stay-at -home mom or a working mother. 

The problem today is that we have access to too much information. Too much information also makes our mind continuously evaluate whether we are making the right choices for our children. We should stop stressing about what other people think and make choices for ourselves. We should have no regrets as to how we bring up our children. We do the best we can, in whatever capacity.                                                                                                                                                 
I know plenty of working moms who have breast-fed/formula-fed their babies for 6 months or more and have eventually gone back to work. Their kids are taken care of by the supportive grandparents and the mom takes over when she is back. Guilt is a horrible thing. We feel guilty if we go to work because at work we are thinking that maybe we need to be home with our baby, and at home we feel guilty that you are there for your baby but just taking care of your baby is “apparently not work”. 

Stay-at-home moms have to justify why we need to be at home and take care of our baby and working moms have to justify why they are at work and not at home, taking care of their baby. There is always a dilemma in both the cases. The perfect situation would be carrying your baby to work till the time your baby needs you and if your work-place permits it. But in life we never have a perfect situation; we have to work with what we have. Like they say 'when life gives you lemons you make lemonade'. I feel that a mom should do what her gut tells her to do whether it’s staying at home or working; you should do what you want to do not what others think you should do. We get swayed by what others say, or the standards they set of a ‘perfect mom'. There is no such thing; all of us live life in trial and error. We learn as we move forward.

I don’t have a “9 to 5”, I have a when I “open my eyes to when I close my eyes” – anon.

No comments:

Are Indian kids getting enough protein?

Protein is a major building block for muscles and it is especially important for growing kids. Children aged 4 to 13 need about 20 to 35 g...