blogmeetsbrand

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Breastfeeding, Formula Feeding and Weaning

Experts believe that breast milk is the best nutritional choice for infants. For mothers unable to breast-feed or who choose not to, formula feeding is a healthy alternative.  American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the American Medical Association (AMA), and the World Health Organization (WHO), all recommend breastfeeding as the best choice for babies. Breastfeeding helps defend against infections, prevents allergies, and protects against a number of chronic conditions.

Studies suggest that breastfed babies have a higher IQ than their peers; they also have lower incidence of falling sick and missing school, and so in turn, healthcare costs are reduced. Also, such children have a lower tendency to become obese, a lower chance of diabetes and heart disease. The AAP recommends that mothers, if able to do so, exclusively breastfeed their babies for 6 months after which if possible breastfeed for 12 months, supplemented with solids. And if both mother and baby are willing, breastfeeding even longer would be great!  

Although experts believe breast milk is the best nutritional choice for infants, breastfeeding may not be possible for all women. For many, the decision to breastfeed or formula feed is based on their comfort level, lifestyle, and specific health conditions. Breast feeding helps you to bond with your baby – experts say that the closeness and intimacy of breastfeeding strengthens maternal affection and that the act of suckling actually changes mother’s brain waves. This results in the rush of the”love hormone” oxytocin in the mother’s brain. This enhances feeling of trust, love and affection. This hormone also know as a powerful antidepressant, prevents post partum depression because this helps the mother fall in love with the baby and the mom is more likely to care and interact with the baby.
When my son was born, I was sure I would breastfeed him but wasn’t sure for how long? During my mother’s generation, all women breastfed their babies for 3 months and weaned them off and started solids. I decided to do the same. Since I had a C-section, my son was fed formula from a syringe till I gained consciousness. I knew that I wanted to breastfeed but initially was apprehensive and scared whether my baby would latch-on, would it be uncomfortable, would I be making any milk or sufficient milk. My head was looming with all these thoughts. 

It was day 2 and the pediatrician walked in and asked me in a very stern voice as to why I had not started breastfeeding as yet. My parents had got me a nursing pillow so I gently made my baby lie down on the pillow and tried to make him latch-on. He did latch-on and I could feel the milk gush out. But obviously we weren’t doing a good job of latching-on as it was extremely painful. I would writhe in pain every time I would try to feed him. My nipples were sore. Apparently my baby wasn’t drinking as much as I was producing and my breasts were super-engorged and uncomfortable. The doctor suggested that I pump out some of the milk to ease the feeling of discomfort. Pumping did really help and made my breast less sore.

 I could see yellow colored colostrums being pumped out of my breasts. I was feeling much better. After that, we decided to have another go at latching-on. Now my baby was latching-on better and breastfeeding didn’t seem so terrifying now. I was now breast-feeding my baby every two hours around the clock with ease but was super exhausted as I wasn’t getting enough sleep. Everyone would give me advised on how it is a lot easier than preparing a bottle of formula every two hours. The work of sterilizing bottles and the cost of buying formula aren’t there at all with breastfeeding. As time passed I found that breastfeeding while lying down seemed to be the most comfortable position to feed. It gave me time to rest while feeding. I think it is truly the most comfortable position to feed in.
Three months went by and of course advice by relatives started to pour-in - that you need to start the bottle and that your baby won’t grow if you don’t supplement, or that he won’t sleep through the night!  I had just started the breastfeeding and now I was expected to suddenly switch the baby to formula feeding. My doctor advised me against it. He said that I must exclusively breastfeed for 6 months and using a bottle was a taboo. So I decided to stick to what the doctor advised.
I received much criticism for not weaning my baby but I continued breast feeding as long as my baby desired. But I have to be honest that there were times when I would succumb to the pressure and try to wean him off. I tried applying something bitter on my breast so that the taste would make him stop but he would ask me to wash it off. I would try and distract him and that didn’t work either. I also tried to let him cry it out, or have a conversation about it, but nothing worked. 

I finally just gave in and decided to take a stand that I would wean him when he was ready. I realized that as he reached 2, it was more about comfort and security; he would want to feed when he was ill, upset or just wanted some quiet time. He continued feeding but less frequently by the time he was 4. I didn’t care what anybody thought. I would continue doing it till he would be ready. Between 4 to 5 years, school hours became longer so it had reduced to once in maybe 15 days, if at all. I still never say 'no'. 

When to wean is a choice between the baby and the mother, and nobody has the right to pass judgments - it’s not that all babies are the same, and every baby reaches a milestone at its own pace - some early some late. My son is turning out fine, he has no confidence issues and he is very independent for his age as well. Hence I feel that all mother’s need to relax and take a deep breath and breastfeed till as long as both shall desire it and it is nobody else’s business. By the way my son weaned when he was 5 years old, proving all those wrong who thought that my son would never wean!
 I don’t know if it was psychological, but when my son joined his play-school he fell sick, a lot less than his play-mates and is definitely much sharper than his peers. I am not sure if it is the magic of breast milk.
There are other manifold advantages of breast milk like mother’s these days pump milk and store it in the freezer for later use and thaw the milk as and when they need it. The bottle with breast milk is easy to carry around especially in places where you can’t find places to breast feed your child. Your husband and family members also get also get an opportunity to bond as they can feed the baby breast milk from a bottle, while you get an opportunity to bath or get other stuff done.

 It is still looked down upon even in the west if you breastfeed your baby in public and people pass snide remarks on your exposure but there can be nothing as natural as feeding your baby. But a lot of women are taking a stand on supporting mothers who choose to breastfeed in public. In India on the contrary feeding in public is not even a topic of conversation. So it’s just much more convenient to carry a bottle of pumped breast milk when you step out or find a feeding room.

 I remember I used to carry a sheet around with me whenever I had to step out (just because you breastfeed doesn’t mean you are confined to the four walls of your house). If I was going to a friend’s house I would excuse myself to the next room and if I was in a train or a plane I would cover my child with the sheet and my lower half partially but surely my son would yank the sheet off much to my embarrassment. I would eventually have to get into the sheet with him and look no less than Casper the friendly ghost.
                                                                                                                                                                         
Honey, I noticed the rug needed vacuuming and the toilets could use some cleaning so I handled it” …. Said no husband ever - anon


No comments:

Are Indian kids getting enough protein?

Protein is a major building block for muscles and it is especially important for growing kids. Children aged 4 to 13 need about 20 to 35 g...